Friday, August 11, 2006

There she was just a-walkin’ down the street…

Maria and I arrived back in Bucharest on Wednesday afternoon. Praise the Lord we made it through Heathrow before the terrorist threat, so the security wasn’t to "red" alert at that time. We might have panicked having to travel without a water bottle!



There have been several changes in our sector since June. The best, according to Maria, is the new playground that is about 50 yards from our apartment. We have already gone twice.

Also watermelon is now in season and costs around 1 USD for an average sized watermelon. So I guess we’ll be eating watermelon until the next crop comes in!

Yesterday was Maria’s first day back at gymnastics and the girls and coaches seemed happy to see her. We had brought back rhythmic equipment and presents for everyone so that made for some chaos and excitement. Another new addition at the gym is a puppy. The mean dogs seem to have disappeared and this cute, friendly puppy has claimed the gym as home. Everyone stops to talk to him and since Maria and I are back I guess he’ll soon be bilingual!


We got a warm welcome from my friend, the produce lady, at our local grocery. For those who have heard the story this is the lady who asked me what kind of tomatoes and I looked at her like she had two heads! When she weighed and tagged our produce yesterday she smiled shyly and said, "hello". Yes, yes – the crazy Americans are back!

Our last new surprise today is the buses we ride to gymnastics are now brand-spanking new! Talk about a treat. They must be new to the Romanians also because no one knew how to open the door at one stop. It was quite amusing. And when I got on the last bus after dropping Maria off at practice the radio was on and as I stepped up I heard, "there she was just a-walkin’ down the street"…