Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Camp Living Water Update

Hello everyone. After a couple of really quiet weekends in Bucharest, I headed back to Camp Living Water to help with the preparations for their first camp this week. The first group of orphan girls will camp there on Wednesday, so you can pray the week will go well for all.

I drove up on Friday with Steve M and another couple (Paul and Laura) who are volunteering. They are a neat couple. They were married about 1 month ago and are now backpacking through Europe as part of an extended honeymoon. I think they heard about Camp Living Water and the Mather family through friends. With their flexible travel plans, they are going to stay at camp for the next two weeks. On Saturday, we built another platform that will be used to mount a large tent for the orphan girls to use. It went together well, and we quit with plenty of time for supper - that's when things got interesting.

A very strong front came through Romania on Friday and Saturday. Some locations even had tornados! As we sat around planning supper, a huge wind came up - followed by a downpour and lightning. Paul and Laura's tent was immediately flipped over. While they ran out to try to right their tent, I saw my tent was about to fly away. I got there just in time to hold it down, but the rain-fly flipped off and most of my stuff got wet. Meanwhile, Steve M. was holding down the dining canopy and watching all the fun. We all held on through the storm and got totally soaked in the process. Camping in the rain is so much fun!

On Sunday, it was time for me to go. Scott and Cammy showed up with two of Cammy/Steve's daughters Sarah and Rachel. We did a few more minor things before I took off that afternoon. I kind of slacked off with the camera this weekend, but I do have some bonus photos from my two previous trips to show you. Enjoy!
Handcrank wells are pretty common in the Romanian countryside. Many of the small villages do not have running water. Nearby the camp, the water table is really high, so some wells just require you to hand dip your bucket! At camp, we get our water from a nearby spring that flows right out of the ground. Someone had just stuck a pipe into the ground to make it easier to fill your container, but that's all. It's our free "Artesian" source, ha ha.

Motorized farm equipment is nowhere to be found on the fields near camp. The vast majority of farmers gather their hay the old fashioned way, cutting the hay with scythes and carrying it on wagons.

For my final pic, let me lay out this senario. As you know, horse pulled wagons work pretty good for transportation, until....it rains. These carts are open, so when it rains you get wet. Unless, you do this!
Apparently this tricked out wagon is a "lower end" model, according to a friend. Some of the "high quality" ones utilize Volkswagen frames, upgrading from the typical Romanian made Dacia.

So that's it for now. Dana and Maria will return tomorrow! I'm pretty happy for many reasons, one of them being that I won't have to do all the "heavy lifting" on this blog by myself anymore. We'll see you on our next post!